In case of divorce, can adult children receive child support or property?

When parents divorce, the minor child's status and property rights and obligations are designated as parental authority.
Upon reaching adulthood, parental rights are terminated, and children over the age of 19, which is the age of majority under civil law, are not subject to child support calculation criteria.
Since they are excluded, child support does not include any expenses incurred after the child becomes an adult, such as college tuition.
In principle, adult children are not considered in the process of dividing property and calculating child support.

Therefore, covering educational expenses for adult children (for example, college students) is not an obligation, but a moral aspect.
However, in the case of college students, it is determined that there are actual childcare costs, such as tuition, and this is taken into consideration during trials and mediation.
This is a method of dividing more assets to those who support adult children. Although it cannot be legally enforced
The purpose is to refer to this standard when both divorced couples agree to give and receive child support for their college-aged children.
However, this does not include children who are over the age of 23 and have graduated from college.

This is a procedure in accordance with Korean law.For foreigners, detailed procedures may vary.
Please chat or email for specific details.

Are there any legal issues involved?

Should I negotiate with a Korean or initiate a lawsuit in a Korean court? The law firm where the interpreter works is located here. All of these processes can be carried out NON-STOP through a professional Korean lawyer. Contact us for consultation right now. Professional staff will respond kindly.

Online Consultation : Click
Tel : +82-2-2038-2438
Email :,,
Was this helpful?

Related Posts

Ye&Partners | 264-81-06005 | representative Kim Woong , Kenny Kim T.+82-2-2038-2438 | E.
Address : 326, Seocho-daero, Seocho-gu, Seoul, 8th floor of Holystar Building (06633) | Site :
Copyright © 2021 Ye&Partners ALL RIGHTS RESERVED