How to file a lawsuit in Korea

To file a lawsuit in Korea, the following general steps must be followed:

Consultation with a Korean attorney

It is advisable to consult with a Korean attorney who has expertise in the relevant area of law before filing a lawsuit. The attorney can assess the strength of your case and guide you through the legal process.

Preparation of the complaint

The complaint must contain a clear statement of the facts, the legal basis for the claim, and the relief sought. The complaint should be written in Korean or translated into Korean.

Filing the complaint

The complaint must be filed with the appropriate court. The court with jurisdiction over the case depends on the subject matter of the dispute and the amount in controversy.

Service of process

After the complaint is filed, the plaintiff must serve a copy of the complaint and other relevant documents on the defendant. This can be done through a court-appointed process server or a private process server.

Response to the complaint

The defendant has a certain amount of time to respond to the complaint. The response should address the plaintiff's allegations and set forth any affirmative defenses.

Pretrial procedures

The court may schedule a pretrial conference or other pretrial procedures to facilitate settlement or narrow the issues in dispute.


If the case is not settled, it will proceed to trial. At trial, the plaintiff will present evidence and arguments in support of the claim, and the defendant will present evidence and arguments in defense.


After the trial, the court will issue a judgment either in favor of the plaintiff or the defendant.


If the judgment is in favor of the plaintiff, the plaintiff can seek to enforce the judgment through various legal procedures, such as seizure of assets or garnishment of wages.

It is important to note that the specific procedures and requirements for filing a lawsuit in Korea may vary depending on the nature of the case and the court in which it is filed. Therefore, it is advisable to consult with a Korean attorney for guidance on the specific procedures and requirements for your case.

Are there any legal issues involved?

Should I negotiate with a Korean or initiate a lawsuit in a Korean court? The law firm where the interpreter works is located here. All of these processes can be carried out NON-STOP through a professional Korean lawyer. Contact us for consultation right now. Professional staff will respond kindly.

Online Consultation : Click
Tel : +82-2-2038-2438
Email :,,
Was this helpful?

Ye&Partners | 264-81-06005 | representative Kim Woong , Kenny Kim T.+82-2-2038-2438 | E.
Address : 326, Seocho-daero, Seocho-gu, Seoul, 8th floor of Holystar Building (06633) | Site :
Copyright © 2021 Ye&Partners ALL RIGHTS RESERVED